Wednesday, March 12, 2008

better late than never....

Sorry for the delay in blogging... been busy!
We don't have too many pictures to post right now, but probably will later this week. (Getting some "professional" shots done later today -- we'll see how that goes. Thankfully - a friend / neighbor has offered to go with us to this first photoshoot.) Speaking of photo shoots... Did I ever mention anything about Zoolander on the blog? Todd (jokingly) says we should use "Magnum" as Mercer's middle name b/c he has this Ben Stiller (actor) modeling "look" down to a tee from the movie Zoolander. We're making a list of potential middle names -- but that one hasn't seriously made the list.

The only shot I have to post is a photo from Mercer's first party on Sunday. One of our neighbors hosted a "sip and see" (coffee / tea / punch / refreshments) for a dozen or so families to come meet Mercer. It was fantastic to see the outpouring of *LOVE* for the little guy so soon in his life. Honestly -- We've never been this bowled over by support and great feelings as we have going through this experience with Mercer. It's such a great feeling to see how much people care! In this picture a neighbor was holding Mercer. I was holding her 13 lb son -- and for people who came to the event -- they were really freaked out by the size of "my boy" until I explained that the boy I was holding wasn't Mercer at all... but a future play-mate who is a few months older than Mercer!


Mercer also had visitors before and after the party come by our house... so - he was definitely the center of attention Sunday.

I found out on Monday that my grandpa had a heart attack on Sunday afternoon. He was in the hospital for a couple of days -- and they have put a stint in one of his arteries. My mom let me know that he made it home late last night (Tuesday). I was worried all day Monday 'til I heard the prognosis of his chest pains Sunday.... SO relieved that hewill be ok and that it was found at atime when there was a solution available! He is such a character... so funny in a reserved sort of way! I have such great memories of going up there / visiting the farm / visiting Liberty Farm & Garden store that he owns / etc. I am so glad he's doing well... and I can't wait for him to meet little Mercer. Actually, I bought a cute little outfit with cows and barns on it & a cow burp-cloth specifically for his first visit up to the farm in North Carolina. I will try to get up there next month to visit grandpa and the rest of the family. My grandpa turns 83 early next month - although - I'll have to pay a visit later in the month. Can't wait to go up there!!!! I have always loved this picture of grandpa and my cousin (although I feel like he's a nephew b/c he's a great deal younger than I). Please keep Melvin in your thoughts and prayers while he's working on recovering. Mom said that he can't eat his sausage & biscuits anymore. I think I'll take him some veggie sausage, turkey gravy, and maybe some whole-wheat biscuts... see if that does the trick? Oops - don't know if he's reading this and will be privy to my suggested food "sneak." (Mom's been printing out the blog for my grandma to read. An aunt has been taking my other grandma to the public library to read the blog. I am so thrilled that Mercer's Great-Grandparents are able to follow along. SO COOL!)
Todd went to Asheville Monday. I kept busy with visiting people & attending meetings. Sounds crazy but I went to back-to-back meetings late Monday. I didn't anticipate going to the Keep Marietta Beautiful board meeting... only planned to visit and introduce Mercer to the gang... but the exec director of the organization wouldn't put him down. Literally. She is so smitten with babies and loved on Mercer Monday!! Afterwards - I went to our neighborhood association meeting to attend a session that I helped coordinate / I was very interested in: a Red Cross presentation on Disaster Preparedness. Pertinent subject... and - especially now that we have started a family - this is something I'd like to get more in order for our household. (As well as a will & trust, look more at insurance, etc. I feel like we're "officially" grown up with the addition of Mercer in our lives.)
Mercer is so great to take to outings at this point in his life b/c he just hangs out & chills for the most part. NO ONE believes me that he's fussy many nights & causes a lack of sleep on our part... but I promise - he does. He sacks out during the day and is the perfect little angel. It's all great, though -- and it's worth every sleepless moment!

ps... while Todd was away for his project meeting in Asheville, please note: he got a full night's sleep! I think he will start to enjoy these site visits more now b/c of the peace & quiet he gets at the b & b!

1 comment:

Brian said...

Candice-
Don't worry. Next time I go up to Asheville with Todd and will call his room every hour and cry into the phone.
Congrats. We are so happy for you guy.

Brian