Friday, February 29, 2008

The paperwork was just filed with the state of CO....


Had to include this shot... Todd's holding Mercer on his arm. I think I'm fond of this b/c it reminds me of my dad telling me that he was able to hold my head in his hands... and with my legs outstretched they just touched the inside of his elbow. I was smaller than Mercer 5 lbs 1 1/2 oz -- and my dad is 6'-5" so I was shorter / my dad's arms were longer.... but it's such a great picture here! Also, I love Todd's expression. He's been so great with him!

We got a call this morning saying that the paperwork went to the state agency to begin the ICPC process (Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children). Our social worker in Georgia says it will take 2 - 3 weeks before we'll be home now that the paperwork has begun. The social worker here in CO, however, says she'd be surprised if it took more than a week. Surprisingly, she works on a lot of Georgia cases (they all come from that consultant who we're working with). I think she says she's done 3 or 4 cases so far this year with adoptive parents from Atlanta... in fact, she was at the hospital yesterday with a birthmother and a couple from Atlanta who were placed with their birthmother in a timely fashion (unlike ours!)... we're so happy with where we're staying that she's trying to talk to that couple into coming to this extended stay hotel so we can meet them. They had a baby boy too -- and Todd really just wants to have something to compare Mercer to... to see how long these fingers and toes really are compared to another infant!

Mercer had his first pediatrician's visit this morning (the social worker set it up). The nurse measured him... 19" (she stretched him out & marked it on the paper that was on the table) -- but she said these measurements will be all over the place for awhile. Then, she took him to the station to be weighed. He put on a show! As Todd was taking his diaper off, he shot up a stream of pee about 2' high which went up & back over him onto the scale behind him. The nurse had a pretty chipper attitude as she was wiping down the scale with Windex. I'm sure it's not the first or last time that will happen! The measurement that they recorded was 6.3 lbs -- but in the photo, it clearly says 6.1. Don't know why the discrepancy?


The doctor inspected him and said that the area of the circumcision was healing very well and that his umbilical cord looks good too. (the dark piece of his cord will fall off, but he didn't say when. i don't know if I want to be around for that -- maybe that will be on Todd's shift ?!) All-in-all... a great bill of health so far. The doc said that the hospital records will be sent to their office. We haven't seen anything... so I hope we get a copy of them as well as the birth certificate, footprints, etc. We are supposed to see a pediatrician pretty much right when we get back to Atlanta too -- and will want to be able to transfer all of this stuff to them.


We went through a number of diapers and wipes while there b/c Mercer (or shall I call him my little "mustard dispenser" was going CONSTANTLY while the doc was checking him!) And here's a pic after Todd's dressed him and Mercer is content.






















3 comments:

Naomi said...

He is so beautiful! I just can't tell you how incredible it is to see the two of you with that baby. I get all weepy every time I look at the blog. Thanks for the updates.

courtney said...

mercer is growing fast I noticed he was 6'1 thats wonderful! Before Glady I never thought bm's would become regular dinner talk lol. I just love Mercer's lips they are beautiful. Keep the pictures coming they are the high light of our day.

driftwood said...

How wonderful is this! Two weeks ago we were walking on the beach, checking out wild horses and enjoying the solitude and peace of Cumberland. Now, you both are in Colorado beginning a new journey with young Mercer. Christine, Megan, Miles and I are so very happy for both of you and we are looking forward to meeting young Mercer.