Friday, February 8, 2008

Great day today!

I started out making breakfast in bed for Todd today before I went to work. Yesterday afternoon, he had a minor surgery to fix a tear in his stomach lining -- which is actually a pretty common thing in guys. (his doctor found the tear when he went to get his physical for the adoption home study. he recommended going ahead & taking care of it before we adopted a child b/c todd would be out of commission for a little while recovering & wouldn't be able to pick up a child. He should be 100% back to normal by Thursday.)

Then, after he was squared away - I went to a meeting in a coffee shop near my office. I had a great meeting with a co-worker who I enjoy her company, then went to the office & reviewed some drawings. I went to a meeting this afternoon that was cut short b/c of a change in the project scope on the architect's end. So - on a gorgeous afternoon (64 degrees at 4 pm) -- I got to head home early! (I was really missing my convertible, though!)

On the way home, I stopped at a children's consignment store that I've been wanting to check out -- and loaded up on some nearly new clothes. Got some CUTE things from baby gap / old navy / carter's etc.
_____
I haven't really written too much about buying baby stuff, but I have been gathering a "READY-GO" package of things we'll need when we get that call to hop on a plane and potentially fly across country. Some friends are going to loan us a carseat and a neighbor is loaning us a travel baby sleeper thing (since we'll have to take something for the baby to sleep in for 2 - 3 weeks). I've got hybrid cloth & disposable diapers. I've got Burt's Bee baby products. I've been trying to get organic clothing and products as much as I can -- so I wanted to have this stuff ahead of time -- we may not be able to get the majority of it on the road.

I've been reading a book called "organic baby" and another called "green babies / sage moms" One of them was talking about particular items to buy organic (onesies which are close to the skin, the mattress, bathing products, etc)... and - if you couldn't get all of these things organic to buy 2nd hand (for clothing, carseats, etc). The chemicals that are in the products will more than likely be washed out or the plastics & such will have off-gassed.

It's inevitable that the baby will eventually be exposed to these things (unless living on a commune, I suppose).... but - I like the idea of trying to do the best that we can for as long as we can.
__________

I guess I was excited to get the really cute stuff at a great deal -- so that, alone, is enough to constiture as a good day! But - then, Todd & I walked up to the square to absorb the great weather / we met some neighbors at a coffee shop for some tea & a steamer / walked home.

Finally, I made dinner and we watched Shrek 3.

I don't think that there was really anything that wasn't pleasant today. I've really enjoyed taking care of Todd. Sounds weird, but it's been nice helping him out.

I guess that's all for today.


PS - we have another book out to a birthmother in Oklahoma. I'm feeling better because our READY-GO pack is almost complete and my meeting this morning was to inform my co-worker of a project so that she could take over for me if we get the call.

Yay.

c

No comments: