Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A new morning....

Things are a lot different for us now! We spent our first night with Mercer. Amy, the social worker brought him to us at the hotel last night. She spent a couple of hours with us going through what has happened so far in his first couple of days, showing us what formula he uses & how to prepare it, how to change his diaper / clean his umbilical cord / take care of his little you-know-what b/c he was circumsized (sp?) yesterday.... and doing the paperwork requrired for us to take temporary possession of him during this period of time until things are finalized. What a job she has -- working all hours of the day / night. We were so grateful that she came to us so late (9ish CO time). I think by 11:30 -- Todd & I were "officially" on our own.



She said he was such a good baby... and he was. She was such a pro when he needed something, she could attend to him & keep him happy. I don't know that Todd & I are doing as good a job so far... but it's 5:15 here and he seems to be doing ok. He's not sleeping as solidly as we thought he would -- he wants to be comforted a lot throughout the night (and - heck - would you blame him?!) We laid him down once we were all settled in and we thought he would crash for a couple of hours, but he woke pretty quickly afterwards. We got up and fed him (he's on a 3hr schedule per Amy) and Todd took a turn sleeping while I held and comforted Mercer. After I got pretty sleepy, I laid him back down to see he would snooze a little, but he was a little fussy / Todd got up with him. All I know is a couple of hours later, I woke up and Todd has fed him, changed him, and re-swaddled him! I was so impressed... he's a pro at this already!



Here's one pic taken last night. We'll update with more today. We'll try to get an up-close shot w/ all of us. We are going to meet Danielle, the birth mother at some point today. (We thought the birth mother's name was Jenny, but that was someone at the agency....boy - Sunday afternoon and Monday getting here was so frantic and crazy, we mis-understood the name / we wanted to clear it up w/ those we had told her name to.)



We talked to so many people over the past day & a half and we are so thankful for all the love...so much love... that we've received from everyone. It is such a great feeling getting all of this encouragement and support. We have been bowled over. Seriously.



I have started something new: cry a little bit off and on b/c I'm happy. Not bawling, but tears welling up (and sometimes a little more) when I think about this gift.... when I read an email or listen to a voice mail.... when talking with some of you on the phone.... when looking down at Mercer's tiny little peaceful little face. I had never done that before until we got that call from Amy Sunday morning. thank you.



Candice



ps...Mercer is asleep in my left arm now as I'm typing. I'll need to check with Todd later to see if that's how he made it through those couple of hours while I was asleep. I'm afraid I'm going to spoil him right from the start, but oh how I hate to see his little face scrunch up and hear this little tiny but piercing high-pitch wimper! I'm already whipped, aren't I?

11 comments:

Sara said...

Candice and Todd, you two are doing great! He won't be spoiled by lots of love. What a beautiful boy!

Naomi said...

Wow! The tearing up is absolutely mommy normal (your new normal). Everything you are doing is perfect, really. Todd - bravo, letting mommy sleep now that was great!

Unknown said...

WOW! I am so thrilled for you guys.
You are already PRO's. I know you
are doing great! Lots of love.

csmith6 said...

Congratulations Todd & Candace! Debbie & I are very happy for you & glad to see it happen so quickly. We'll be thinking of you & Mercer and can't wait to meet him - he looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS...You're both going to be great parents. We're both so very happy for you. Just follow your instincts and you'll do fine.. Uncle Tony and Auntie Becky

Unknown said...

We need more pictures!!! It's so hard not being close enough to see Mercer or the two of you with him. Don't worry about holding him too much. You all deserve a little spoiling, it's been a long wait.

We can't wait to be able to see you in person. Keep up the "bonding".
Love,
Aunt Tonia, Uncle Rory and all of your cousins

Unknown said...

God is So Awesome! You both are doing great. The no sleep and crying thing is very normal ( i mean for you :) The baby will settle down once you get into a routine. Thanks for keeping us in the loop with the blog and pics. Hope you get to go home soon with baby Mercer. We all love you so much. Seeing him brings back so many memories. Wish we were there, stay blessed! Love Auntie Melissa & Family

The Hawkins Family said...

I just keep staring at the picture! He is awesome! I am so happy for you both!
Susan

far said...

Wow! so happy for all, including Grandma Gloria. Just emailed my church (you've been on our prayer list) to add Mercer to it--your prayers have been answered. Far

Suzanne L. said...

Congratulations to you both; you sound like you are doing great! Larry and I look forward to you bring little Mercer home;he sure is a cutie! Take care and both of you try to get some sleep.
Suzanne and Larry

oriewade said...

OH BOY!! The whole n'hood is in a tizzy abt this Blessed Event. Sounds like yr already adjusting well. Going w/the flow. Love the pixs, keep them comin. Love to you all. Pam & Orie