Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Another blog?! So soon!!

For some reason, I felt the need to report that I feel like an adult today. I'm still very much a kid at heart... but I did something very "responsible" & that's what qualifies me - in my mind - as adult. (Not to mention the things I already do such as owning a home / holding down a job / pursuing adoption are all very "adult" things to do of course! But it just feels different.)

I voted in the primary today. I've never done that in the primary before... just in November during election years. (For those who know me -- they may be shocked b/c I am so NOT a political person!!) I was at home early (came home sick from work) and felt the urge to go vote. Don't know 100% why I felt compelled to do it - but I did.

ON AN ADOPTION NOTE -- as an update to yesterday's post -- I found out from our consultant that we aren't eligible for this particular situation in Utah. The social worker needs families who are ready to go right now & they need to have a completed homestudy in their hands by the end of the week. If we scrambled (the scenario would roll like this: I went & sat in a dr's office tomorrow and had a physical "on demand" AND if we were able to get the results of the bloodwork & other stuff back right away.... then got the paperwork back to our social worker right away.... then she finished it in a day.... then fed-ex it out.... we'd make it in time. but - all 3 of those steps likely have more than a 1 day turn-around (getting the appointment. getting the test results. getting the social worker to drop everything else she has going on).

This one was just not meant to be (again). It will happen. I'm ok with it.

Funny as I was trying to go to sleep last night -- I'm playing out all the stuff in my head. Birth mother's due date Feb 22. If she went into labor before then -- we'd be on a remote island camping (we're going to cumberland in a week & a half!!). fortunately, we would be able to get cell service to receive the call and would be able to get an emergency flight off the island (we checked -- the island has both cell and emergency services if needed). but then we'd have to pack up everything and drive back home before making flight arrangements.

Clearly - my mind was racing as I was trying to fall asleep. Todd was more rational: we just wouldn't go on the trip b/c we would need to be ready to go when we got the call. (he's so level-headed. I'm trying to figure out how to make it all work!) ugh.

Oh well. I should go. I'm going to take a nap for awhile. (Because naps are an "adult" luxury.) ; - )

No comments: