Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday morning - full of emotion

I don't know why I'm here again... I'm watching the movie about adoption called "Juno" for the 2nd time. We watched it last night and I boo-hoo'ed through it. Why am I watching it again this morning?

I feel that we've already lost touch with the birthmother -- and maybe as I watch it, I feel that there's some sort of connection and insight into her life? The main character of the movie, Juno, is different than the other kids in her school.... she's a little dark. She's just trying to find her way in the world. Mercer's birthmother, Danielle, doesn't exactly act like her or look like her (dresses kinda like her, though), but I can imagine she was trying to figure out her place too. Such a confusing time for teenagers, honestly.

The parts of this movie that I imagine were really hard in real life for Danielle were:

- telling her dad & step mom that she was pregnant...

- the decision to keep the baby instead of aborting it ("I want the baby to be with people who are going to love it and be good parents")...

- the AGONY that the adoptive parents went through trying to make everything perfect / trying to relate to the girl ("How sure would you say you are? We went through a situation before where it didn't work out")... [SO glad we didn't have to go through that with Mercer!!!]

- Juno watching Vanessa (adoptive mother) play with the little girl at the mall.... [either thinking she would be a good mom -- or realizing that these are times that she won't be sharing with her baby as he/she grows up]

- the emotions she expressed at school with everyone staring at her/ how big she is/ being uncomfortable/ etc. ...

- giving birth at the hospital & how endearing it was to watch her interact with her father at the hospital ("you'll be back here at some point in the future on your terms")...


There were definitely some similarities with Danielle's family situation (abandoned by her own mother / dad & step mom have younger kid of their own / daddy really looking out for his little girl / etc) . WOW.



I think I watched it a 2nd time to see if I wouldn't boo-hoo through it again? NOPE. Boy - sure am glad that we didn't watch this before we adopted Mercer. It makes me very thankful that things happened the way they did (although it was insane). The emotional "stuff" before the birth and the waiting has to be so hard. I know when we adopt again -- yes... we'd love for Mercer to have a baby sister -- it may not be as easy in that regard.


On a HAPPIER note: I was talking to my friend Susan yesterday. She's so encouraging and so positive / has a great way of bringing me up (I was really tired yesterday - so I wasn't in a bad mood but I wasn't necessarily chipper). She asked me what has been the best part so far... what have I enjoyed the most? I told her that I LOVE his social smiling.... it's great! But - probably my favorite part so far is when bringing Mercer to bed to sleep -- the waking up with him in my arms. He's completely comfortable in my arms and trusting. So innocent. So sweet. I'll ask Todd what his best part is and post it in a future blog. I'd like to hear what he thinks.


I'll blog more about stuff we've done with Mercer this week & pictures too... but just wanted to get this Juno stuff out of my head. I haven't blogged lately about Danielle. She got the scrapbook I sent a month ago & texted that it was beautiful / she loved it. I texted back the following week & gave her an update on his size. She never responded. (Which was odd b/c she would usually initiate the text message each week / I'd be the one responding.) I texted her the following weekend too and told her an Easter card I sent came back to us -- should I send it to her dad's house. No response on that one either.

I emailed the social worker in Colorado the week after that (last week) and asked her to check in on Danielle... see if she's still in her apartment. see if she's ok. see if she's already moved on -- or if it hurts her when I text and try to communicate. The social worker said she'd check and let me know. Haven't heard, so I don't really know what to do. I think in a month, I'll work on the next installment of the scrapbook (the 3 month page) and send to her, but maybe I'll send it to her dad's house. When / if she wants to add it to her book, she can get it from him?

Wish I knew.

No comments: