Monday, May 19, 2008

an "OK" weekend... but a "not so great" Monday...

Saturday - I participated in a neighborhood street clean / Todd, Mercer, and I walked to the square with some neighbors for a late breakfast afterwards. Then, Mercer and I went on an "artful" garden tour that afternoon. (Put on by the High Museum of Art -- so there was art in most of the gardens & plein aire painters in all of them providing demonstration.)

Sounds like an ideal day -- and it was pretty good -- except for at the 2nd garden we visited.

Mental image: baby sling down around my waist / holding Mercer hiding a wet spot on the front of his outfit and on the front of my shirt / trying to feed him but it's not working because we're trying out new (faster) nipples on the bottles so he's got milk running down his face and he's wailing because he's not getting the food he so desperately wants.

And -- at least there was violin player trying to serenade the visitors to the garden above Mercer's wailing -- so it made the whole situation described above all the more elegant! (kind of like that scene in the Titanic movie... the orchestra was playing while the ship was going down... right to the end!)

Note: This was NOT my favorite moment with Mercer! It wasn't any fun at the time, but looking back now... it wasn't completely intolerable or horrible. I was comforted by my neighbor who went with me saying it wouldn't be the last time! OH WELL!


Sunday, I worked on the nursery and gardened some. Todd worked on installing a gutter on the garage so that we can hook a rain barrel up to it. We had to pass Mercer back-and-forth between the two of us to keep him fed / changed / entertained while we tried to work on projects. It was tough to get stuff done, honestly. We both realized, I think, that we're just not going to work on things like we used to. But... the CUTEST thing that happened Sunday: Todd dressing Mercer in the morning. He promptly put on a Mets Onesie.... and grabbed the Mets snuggly bear too to accessorize. (even his G diaper (hybrid diaper) matches -- as it's orange!) It was a big game Sunday between the Mets and the Yankees. And - Mercer was very happy (well, really Todd was) that the Mets swept the Yankees.


Today was Mercer's first day of daycare. (He's in an "educational" outfit... T is for Turtle!) I took him late b/c I went to Stroller Strides this morning. We went shortly after 12:00. When I went, the director of the facility was there in the infant room (lending a hand, I suppose, to the teacher in the room). She promptly came to us and spent 20 minutes or so holding Mercer and comforting me that they would take great care of him. While there, I witnessed one 15 mo old child (sitting in this table with 6 chairs sunk into it) flinging food all over the place. Another child (18 mo) was running all over the place and coughing horribly and then promptly coming over and touching Mercer's car seat & toy hanging on it. (Mental note: need to sterilize that tonight!!). He also dropped his pacifier, picked it up, put it back in his mouth. Another 18 mo old child was not wanting to lay down / take her nap so she was reaching out of the crib grabbing whatever she could -- including a box of toys which she landed to the floor. A 12 mo old was sitting in a swing and a 8 mo old was asleep in another crib. Including Mercer that makes 6 children -- and a 3 month old who is normally there wasn't there today.

When we signed him up, they said that they were about to bring another teacher on and move the older children to another (adjacent) room. That room has always been empty when we've been - so I believe them... but - they haven't done it yet.

When I picked Mercer up today around 5, I heard him crying when I went in. The woman was trying to give him a bottle as he was in a swing. She was feeding him only a couple of hours after he ate his afternoon bottle. (This isn't cool, as Mercer eats every 4 hours.) She said he was crying b/c he was hungry and that we needed to feed him every couple of hours.... NOOOOO.... he wanted to be held and he was tired!

Ugh.... it was really hard today! I got a bit done in the nursery, though, and I got to try him out (try me out) with the daycare thing. I don't know that either one of us did so great today this first day. Maybe it will be better tomorrow? (The teacher told me that they were going to open up the new room tomorrow and the older kids wouldn't be in the infant room.) Let's hope so!

No comments: