Thursday, December 13, 2007

Birthday Weekend...

I meant to blog on Sunday (Dec 9) when we got home from our weekend away but I didn’t – so I’m doing it on the ride down to work Wednesday morning and finally posting Thursday (Todd was driving – don’t worry).

I wanted to say what a nice weekend we had. Todd took me to Chattanooga (about 1 ½ - 2 hours north of where we live). I didn’t know ‘til about an hour away where we were going – so it was a surprise almost all the way to the event. He wanted to take me to see penguins for my birthday. Plus, I like the Tennessee aquarium more than the Georgia aquarium (long story why)… and we haven’t been since the penguins got there. It’s a smaller aquarium and it’s not really that crowded, so you can get more up-close and spend more time in front of particular areas. Plus, they have the most magnificent display of sea dragons and leafy sea dragons…. which are some of my favorites to watch swim. They have a great big puffer. Love him too. And – they have a cool jellyfish exhibit that we’ve seen several times, but always enjoy. (I crawled into this bubble that they have (for kids, probably) that sits inside the aquarium -- we have a photo, too, of us with the penguins, but it's not on my computer / I'll add it to the next blog.)

After we left the aquarium, we walked around the river a bit until it started sprinkling. We hopped in the car and headed to our next excursion – to go to the B&B that he had picked out. The area it was in wasn’t so great, but the B&B itself was very nice. We hung out in their common room (a giant living room with several different seating groups) we chose a space near a fireplace and worked for several hours on the website & the profile book. (Todd worked on one – I worked on the other.) We went to a nice dinner at a restaurant in a giant stone house just down the road. It was a national historic register home and there were placards on the wall with stories of Al Capone / mob money coming through the house.

The next morning, we went downstairs and ate a hearty breakfast, worked on the website and profile book a bit more, then headed to a nearby town. We went there b/c we saw some etchings on the wall of several buildings in this town (which was largely made up of a college campus) and we saw something of interest to check out. We drove around the town and campus a bit, but couldn’t find what we were looking for ‘til we were about to give up, then saw an area for theology buildings…. we headed in the direction and found it: a chapel that looked like it was designed by Faye Jones (famous church & chapel architect). The doors were unlocked. The facility was empty, so we went in. And – a placard on the wall there said, indeed, it was designed by him! We were thrilled b/c we’ve never been in one of his buildings / experienced his architecture. It’s a bit dated (although it’s not old), but the space is quite nice. Todd snapped a ton of photos. Satisfied with our find, we hopped in the car & headed back home.

I ended up going to the top of the street to check in with an event that I was participating in (as a ghost participant). The art event I usually participate in was that same weekend. But, since Todd had planned such a fabulous weekend, I asked that I not work this show. I did not make new products – only repackaged things I had left over from a previous show. I moved a little bit of merchandise, but not much. That’s ok. My priorities were in check this season: work on adoption things… and spend a nice quality weekend with my husband who took the time and effort to plan a great (surprise) event for me.

It was perfect. ; - )

No comments: