Saturday, September 1, 2007

A whirlwind week...

Since I wrote last... a lot has happened. I went to a meeting in Alabama (haven't been since I was a kid. Actually parts of it (the northern part as we were heading into Tennessee) were quite beautiful. Sounds weird, but we drove through Chattanooga Tennessee to get to our destination in Huntsville Alabama. I was meeting with a bunch of Army folks for work. One Army person from Atlanta rode with us... the rest came from NC & Illinois. The first night we got there, we drove around the historic part of town. They have 3 districts. It's much nicer & larger than I expected. We had 2 days of meetings & then drove back Wednesday night.

Thursday night, I went to Dave & Buster's with my girl's night crowd. What a fantastic place. We ate dinner, then played games for a few hours. (My favorite thing right now to do there is to play this interactive video game that simulates you in a boxing rink. You have these gloves on which must have sensors in them... and it shows how you jab the guy on the computer screen. My friend Renee did SO good!! I think she burned over 300 calories b/c her game dragged out for 3 or 4 rounds! (I only made it to round 2 this time, but the first time I did it, I kicked A.. too!) We played for tickets at Skee Ball, a horse racing game, and at basketball... our friend Courtney got an Elmo for her little girl and Karen got a frog for her son with all of our combined tickets.

Friday, I had another out-of-office day -- but at least locally. We held a green building charrette for an architecture firm in town. It went well - maybe one of the best ones we've had? So... by the end of the day on Friday, I was tired from the travels earlier that week & from the all-day presentation. But - I had a nice treat that night. I had previously scheduled a massage Friday night. I've only had one before. This one -- was at the house!! The masseuse set up at the far end of our bedroom - in front of the open doors overlooking the pond. (That was my idea... and it was great - it was so relaxing!)


Today (Saturday), Todd & I ran some errands and went up to the square. There was an Art in the Park festival. We bought a print from a local painter. Also, I took some old boxes to contribute to the kids area -- as our group organizes an event where kids paint them to look like buildings & they lay them out on roads which have been drawn on a big white tarp. It's pretty cute. One day, we'll be able to take the kids through the sand-in-the-bottle making area... and the big bouncy house... and the face painting. One day.

Tonight, we went to a wedding & saw a bunch of people we used to work with. It was outdoors & the weather was gorgeous (finally). One of the couples we know were talking about their next trip to Cumberland Island. I blurted out "can we go with you next time?" and they said YES! yay. i'm so excited. i've wanted to go there for quite some time, but it's a little intimidating. (It's very wild... there are horses that roam the island. There's no civilization on the island (well, I think there may be a litte in one part - but not where you camp out at). So... I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to go with them. They've been the past 4 or 5 years with their 2 children.

Tomorrow, we're going to a Braves / Mets game. Monday - Labor Day holiday - we're driving to Asheville in the morning & are planning to meet some folks in a neighboring city for the local apple festival. Tuesday, I'm planning to go to the Asheville Arboretum with one of them & their kids.

All in all - good times this week.
good night. C

No comments: