Saturday, September 8, 2007

I feel like I should "document" what we do. Last night: went out after work last night with Todd's co-workers 'til about 8, then drove a short ways away to a gallery in town to visit an exhibit of a former co-worker who's a photographer now. Then, Todd & I grabbed a little bite of food before coming home. We had an interesting discussion:

A former neighbor -- who's adopted 2 children told us a few weeks ago about a woman who has a child in foster care... but she cannot take care of the little girl anymore. She wants to find a family for the girl b/c she doesn't want her to go back into the system. I believe she's 2 years old. At first, Todd said he'd prefer to start our family with an infant. I've been thinking a lot about the situation lately / he & I talked about it last night. He said he had been thinking about it lately too.

I think we're going to at least talk to the lady andget more details. It's not guaranteed, but we were actually discussing about HOW THE HECK would we go ahead & take this on?! Honestly, I don't think we could afford it w/out working.... could I work from home? would the foster mother be willing to watch her during the day (we could pay her / it may ease the transistion?) would a two year old be sad about leaving her foster home? would she bond with us? we figured that we could fix up the room real quickly. it just needs some crown moulding and one piece of shoe moulding. technically, the ceiling needs to be painted, but we could do this later (i was thinking about painting clouds on the ceiling in there & that may take awhile). what about furniture. what do 2 year olds need? could she use the double bed we already have in there? (we could just find a cute bed spread?) are 2 year olds potty trained? walking around? what about baby-proofing issues? clothes - i think i could figure out, but what kind of toys would we need to supply her with? when would a kid start going to some sort of school? pre school at 3 or 4? we don't have 9 months to plan... so i'm a little freaked out!

I emailed our neighbor & asked her to put us in touch. I'll call later too - when it's a decent hour. I'll write more later once we talk to a couple of folks.

I may actually go back to sleep. Woke up real early thought I'd blog a bit to get some stuff out of my brain.

Candice

No comments: