Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday before the first adoption consultation....

It's been awhile since I've posted.

Went out of town again two weeks ago. This time - to Charlotte, NC. I have one more work trip this year (a 3 1/2 day tour of NC) and then that will be it for travelling. I really need to talk to the folks at my office about no more trips after the first of the year. According to people we've talked to about adoption, we could get the call that a birth mother is in labor & we need to get on a plane that night!

I don't think I'll get out of teaching classes, but I will ALWAYS have to have a back-up person in the wings in case we get THE call. I can do project work from home -- I'm not worried about that. It's the out-of-town teaching (especially to places that require non-transferrable airfare) that has me concerned.

I hosted girl's night last Thursday. We had a great time. Several people dressed up (I was a cat -- pretty tame, really). A pregnant neighbor's belly was a pumpkin. Another neighbor was a little devil. But - the most creative costume of the evening -- donned by Crazy Candace. Yes, there's another Candice on the street (she spells her name with an -ace). She was a trashy bride -- wearing a wedding dress, torn up black hose, one of those crimped wigs, and makeup running down her face. She was coming onto Todd & some other guy that he was doing some work with in the home office. It was pretty funny. I made eyeballs (turkey meatballs with olives stuck in them & tomato sauce drizzled over)... someone made eyeball salad (button mushrooms, cheese whiz, and olives set in a bed of lettuce), green potatoes, a witches brew housed inside of a real pumpkin, a beef stew housed in another pumpkin, a spiderweb cheesecake topped with a rubber spider, and my locally-famous witches fingers cookies. (They're sugar cookies dyed green with food coloring, shaped as a finger, an almond for the finger nail, and red decorator gel at the other end (like blood). We had a great time!

Friday, Todd's mom came into town. She's carpooling down to Florida with a friend of hers who has also has a home in Maine. We had a great dinner Friday night, went to the art museum on Saturday & to a Japanese restaurant that night, then went to a play and to another nice dinner on Sunday. We had a pretty serious adoption conversation Sunday night. I downloaded the instructions from our Adoption Consultant... and we have a SLEW of homework to do before our meeting on Thursday!! Luckily, I asked Todd's mom to bring down some photographs -- which she did. I just talked to my mom tonight & have asked her to start going through some, but I doubt that I'll have any of our family in time for the meeting. The consultant wants 30 - 40 pics and a bunch of written stuff. Luckily, I have a bunch of written verbiage already. Maybe we can use some of it? I wish I would've gotten the homework earlier! It was emailed Thursday afternoon. I didn't get it 'til Friday, but wasn't able to download it 'til the weekend. There's about 100 pages of stuff to go through.

I suppose I should go & do some homework. I'll write more after our appointment Thursday.

C

No comments: