Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 3 of closure

Todd went grocery shopping this morning before he went to work.  Honestly - I've never been so relieved to see that he brought home toilet paper!  That is what we will run out here in our family.  It's been a joke on TV as of late that stores are out of toilet paper, but, it's a real scare!  

Today went better - again - than day 1, but that is because I didn't get much of my own work done outside of my "office hours."  I focused, again, more on what Mercer and Isabella were doing rather than grading or completing my personal classwork (which I have an assignment due tomorrow)!  

Today was a bit nicer of a day too.  I spent my entire time for my "office hours" outside on the front porch.  Something that has happened with my students:  they are using my online blog as a place in which to post, connect and communicate with each other.  I have been monitoring their conversations (as much as I can)... and there are a couple of students who have posted that they're scared.  :(    I have tried to reassure them that they're young... they need to be smart about their interactions... they need to wash their hands, etc.   But it is interesting.  

At one point, Isabella came to join me. (Here, she got side-tracked by sorting paperclips after working on a "measurement" worksheet.)    

Her next project was to look at castles and build with blocks.  She has little phonics worksheets and writing assignments as well as some online math work.
Mercer's work isn't quite as cute.  He and I spent the afternoon transitioning to Boy Scout work.  We're going to use this time to knock out a couple of things we tried to get done during school / baseball / etc... but could not.  Stay tuned.  There will be some photos of those activities.

It has been hard to keep both of them on track and focused.  I promised an outing this afternoon.  We took some toiletries and a bag of canned goods to the local homeless shelter -- where our children got to see that there were homeless children living at the shelter.  There was a play area fenced off toward the back of the property.  We had a conversation about this.  I know that there are children without homes, but it was still a shock to see them there - playing.  I took a bottle of hand sanitizer with us and we went to a park with a cool playground that has some tech built-in to the equipment to make a game out of climbing up and over the thing.  There weren't any kids when we went out - but a toddler and a little boy came later.  Everyone kept their distance and we kept sanitizing.  It was good to see Mercer and Isabella running and laughing.  (We've been taking nightly walks around the neighborhood but it's just not the same.)
















The pandemic has grown more... hitting almost 200 cases (197) in Georgia today and 3 additional deaths for a total of 4 here.  I didn't realize that 'til watching the news tonight.  I've NOT been plugging into the situation during the day because the kids are around and I don't need it on all day / all night!  The latest thing on the news:  there are now curfews in Fulton County (Atlanta).... 9 pm - 7 am.  Wow.    

Here's a cute photo to leave you with. (I came in to this - she was supposed to be reading a book, however, they were hugging!) <3 





  

No comments: