Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Day 2 of closure went a little better...

The anxiety I had yesterday from the logistics of communicating with students / parents and providing tech support / etc went down quite a bit.  I did start answering questions before my "office hours" but did not tackle too much school-related work in the afternoon.  After office hours ended, I  also had my first "face-to-face" meeting with my team over zoom - an internet connectivity tool.   In general, we have all gotten along quite well.  We lingered on the zoom call for a bit even after our science team meeting (joined by the science coach for the school + the principal) was over. It was almost like "what have you heard?" "what's going on over there?" "what's happening at so-and-so's school?" 

At our house, things were a bit calmer because I did not get as much of my own work done.  But - it sounds as if that is OK.  I did more hands-on things with Isabella today.... which was helpful for her.  (we did an experiment that her Mile teacher (gifted) sent.... which also led to another experiment and making of slime.).

According to our principal, the "not getting as much of my own work done" is apparently OK.   The rushing to finish grading" which was originally due today -- was put on hold.  She's not sure how grades will be tallied since some of the systems schools had closed just before the end of the quarter.  People were keeping their kids out of school just before the end of the quarter too.   

End of year testing has been suspended. It's not happening.  (which is pretty major)  But - unfortunately, there are people who are also talking about other things that are not happening such as prom, graduation, etc.  It really stinks for those kids who earned their rites of passage.... and that is possibly not coming.

I'll post more updates soon.  

(Isabella didn't want Jenny the penguin's picture to be published.... but... she gave the penguin several baths.)

No comments: