Saturday, March 7, 2009

we celebrate our 11 year anniversary today!

We didn't do anything too fancy today, but we had a nice one~

Well, I got to do something fancy... I had a hot stone massage earlier in the day -- courtesy of a gift card from Christmas 07 that I hadn't used... I'm really glad (now) that I hung onto it for so long! It was nice to use it after the busy last couple of weeks we had.

I was actually able to "zone out" all of the chatter in my head... and go to a nice, peaceful place. I went to a house that we looked at several years ago on a river up in the mountains. Oh - how we wanted that house! (And, apparently, I still do!) I know there's no way possible, but it was really nice to be sitting / chilling on the back deck (in my head) overlooking the creek that runs directly behind the house. Mercer was looking under rocks and digging up worms! At times, I imagined him and a friend running through some trails in the nearby woods... and at times, I imagined him playing with his (future) little sister skipping rocks in the creek.

Yes - we plan to adopt again (as mentioned in a previous post). Earlier this week, I was actually approached by one of Mercer's day-care teachers about it. She said that she was pregnant and planning to talk to us to see if we would be willing to adopt the baby -- however -- she lost the baby a month ago. Wow. We felt bad for her loss (which she didn't seem too upset by because of the tough decision ahead of her). We feel lucky to be having these conversations with people!

I'm really digressing... back to the anniversary...

We ended up going for a long walk (at least 3 miles) along a river at a nearby recreation area because the weather was so nice. Mercer rode in the stroller for the most part, but at the end when he got really squirmy, we let him out and "walked" with him. He actually went pretty far holding onto my fingers! Afterwards, we ran some errands, then went to dinner at a restaurant we like (one we used to patronize a lot before Mercer) called Flying Biscuit. They have sort of "hippie / trendy" food, but is pretty casual. We had a yummy meal and came home in time to put Mercer down to bed.

Todd and I both have a SWANK dinner coming up this week, though, so we didn't miss out tonight by any means! My office has a fundraiser every year and they've invited spouses to come (perhaps we didn't sell enough tickets / but have already paid for the food?) A 5-course organic meal with a wine pairing for each course... and during the meal, an inspirational speaker about sustainability. Looking forward to it!

I guess the only other thing that happened since the last post, we FINALLY finished our wills. Our financial advisor stayed on us 'til we did it... we always have homework with him. It's a pain sometimes, but really good to keep us focused. We wouldn't be as far along with being "responsible" adults without his guidance! He's really kicked us into financial shape -- which right now is a good thing. Todd's job is pretty uncertain in the coming months, but it's nice to know we have someone to talk to / help us plan and get through this if it does come down to him losing his job.

It's been such a busy few weeks, that it's really nice to now be able to relax. Yes, I'm really glad I held onto that gift certificate and cashed it in today! Tomorrow, we are going to go to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. We were going to go today, but didn't have time after Mercer's nap. We'll get an earlier start / go check out the blown-glass exhibit in the orchid house... in a couple of months, they have a big exhibit of Henry Moore sculptures. I think we'll join b/c as Mercer's able to walk (any day now, right?) he will SO be into the children's garden area. Check out their website if you get a chance.... it's fun b/c they have music to go along with the different links. http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org

I hope that all of you have a nice, relaxing week ahead. Good night.

No comments: