Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Isabella is 18 months old today + a couple of updates before the next big post....


Isabella is 18 months old today!  She is a spit-fire (started really throwing tantrums over the past several weeks).  She now lays herself down slowly on the floor... lays her head down... then kicks up her legs & starts wailing!  She learned to do this after throwing herself to the floor a number of times.  She's smart too -- realizing that throwing yourself down hurts.  Slowly laying down then throwing a fit does not hurt!  :)  


She's really sweet -- still saying "hi" to all the strangers she meets and often blowing kisses or leaning in / giving kisses.  Even though it's hard to catch her smiling for a photograph lately, she is extremely happy and smiles a lot!
 
She grabs her feet and moves her fingers around on the bottom of her feet while saying "le le le le." (did I mention this before?)  It's her way of saying "tickle me!"

Her hair is getting longer... we're trying to hold out on getting it to the point that we can pull it back.  Oh-so-close!  Just like Mercer's hair, so many people just want to touch the curls and absolutely love the tresses!





She is CLIMBING now.  Yes, climbing.   (Enclosed:  a series of her climbing up into her high chair + a shot of her climbing the fence at Mercer's baseball game!)
 































She has started to do some artwork.  I took her to a Toddler Tuesday event at the Marietta museum.  There was a story about a cake that the instructor read then the kids were to draw a slice of cake like the one the woman was painting. I had to help with the basic shape, but Isabella did everything else on her own. 

She also likes to draw with markers.  Here is her first marker piece.

Isabella has been teething lately.  A few weeks ago, she cut an upper tooth on one side of her front teeth.  Last week, she cut another upper tooth on the other side.

Tonight, in a well-lit taekwondo studio (while we were waiting for Mercer at his lesson), something caught my eye as she sat next to me.  It looks like she has SEVERAL more bottom teeth on the side of her mouth that have also cut through.  Hmmm.. those were cutting in and we didn't even realize it!  No wonder she was up 2 - 3 - 4 times per night last week & a few weeks ago.  She was working on a lot more teeth than we thought! 

Yes - I mentioned that Mercer is in taekwondo.  We're trying this again at a studio near Todd's office.  It's much more reasonably priced but also is run by a guy we used to work with 10 years ago!  The guy is strict, but makes the kids laugh a lot as well.  We've already enrolled Mercer in summer camp there, as we feel that this will offer him structure / guidance on being disciplined while also having fun and burning off a lot of energy.

I have stopped my "intense" search for a job. Filing for unemployment insurance claims required that you apply for a minimum of 3 new jobs per week.  It was great to keep me motivated and proactive on the job-search front, but it was difficult.  It took hours upon hours searching different websites to find at least 1-2 things that was even relevant.  Most of the time, I couldn't find 3, so I researched private schools and wrote letters to headmasters stating my intention to change careers.  On average, I spent 20-30 (maybe even 40) hours a week looking for a job for those 14 weeks that I could file claims.  (all without daycare - which was especially tough.)  

At the end of April, I got a call from a guy who I had met with twice over the past couple of years.  A friend of mine worked with him in the green building business.  My friend has since moved on (to work at an organic farm), but he heard that I was out of work and needed some experienced part-time help.  That sounded like music to my ears!  I've been working there for a couple of weeks.  He's been really great so far knowing that I want to explore other things / seems to be pretty flexible.  In fact, I applied for another part-time job at a local nature center back in April; I will begin that work for a short 6-week period in early June & can work my green building contract work around it.

After securing both part-time jobs, I immediately turned my full-time attention... my overtime attention... towards studying.  I sat for an exam in early May that tests my competency in "middle grades science."  I crammed years worth of studying biology, chemistry, physics, geology /earth sciences, and astronomy into a short period of time.  Admittedly, I found chemistry to be most challenging, but I did really well on the overall exam!  I used a number of resources, however, I attribute my success to a series of websites designed for kids:  www.chem4kids.com / www.physics4kids.com / www.biology4kids.com / www.cosmos4kids.com / www.geography4kids.com (they're great!  check them out!)  

The exam I took shows that I am capable of teaching science concepts to kids in 4th - 8th grades.  Before taking the exam, I had to "qualify" by registering in a program that's designed for professionals transitioning into teaching.  A degree in architecture allows candidates to teach elementary and middle grades math or science.  

Science (specifically earth science and biology) appeals to me.  After passing a few of the required hurdles, I am now eligible / enrolled in a class this summer that is a cram-session for learning "Effective Teaching" strategies.  This is a long process, but once I take that course (the final "hurdle") the program organizers market me to metro Atlanta school districts.  Science, Math, English as a Second Language, and Special Needs are the 4 areas that are in demand here in Georgia.  Fingers crossed that a school will pick me up after I get through that teaching course!  Stay tuned.  It's been about 3 months in the making, but I'm well on my way to changing careers~~

This past weekend, we all went to New Jersey to be with Todd's family as they remembered his father.  May 11th would've been his birthday.  It was a great weekend.  I'll write a separate blog post about that shortly.

No comments: