Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Edisto Beach 2013 - Part 3

Mercer and I took several excursions by bike while on the island.  We went looking for letterbox "treasure stamps" and we also went to another fishing spot in more brackish water. Mercer was sort of excited about going fishing -- but I think he was more excited about sneaking out of the house to go out while Todd and Isabella slept.... a special trip that only he and I were taking!
 
The fishing pier I took him to is one of my favorite spots on the island. I always seem to end up here by myself. It amazes me that there really aren't other people that hang out in this exact spot. This pier is the first place I went on our first day there. I woke up early & went to watch the sun rise over the marsh. (below)
 
Mercer did not catch a fish here, unfortunately, but I enjoyed spending this time with him and sharing "my favorite spot" on the island with him!













Mercer and I also did some other fun things on the island together.  We took sand from the beach, dyed it different colors, and made sand art with Isabella's empty baby food jars. 





















Vacation is for sleeping in, however...
Isabella woke us up on our last day of vacation before dawn (Mercer was yelling in his sleep "stop it! stop crying!") ... so I figured while I was awake I should go check out our last sunrise on the island.  And - so the boys could sleep, take Isabella out to see her first.  These shots are from the ocean side of the island.

Apparently why I was watching the sun and talking to Isabella about how the sun rises as the earth rotates, we were being watched.  There was a couple who said they wanted to take our picture so that I would have something to remember that morning by. 



T-shirt, PJ pants, and no make-up.... I don't necessarily need a memento of that, but...






























...what I will hold on to is this giant sun-washed yawn! 







The rest of the trip was filled with more trips to the beach and to the pool. 

By the end of the trip, Isabella was pretty comfortable swimming at the pool - kicking her legs and splashing the water a little... smiling.   Again - no photos  in the water for obvious reasons!





We watched dolphins, flocks after flocks of pelicans and sea gulls flying overhead, played volleyball at the cabana, built sand castles (and destroyed them too), flew kites, played in the waves, and hunted for shells. 

Here's a video of Isabella watching & getting excited by the kite Todd and Mercer were flying on the beach below:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSSbGpwTcU




Mercer seemed to never tire. 






Todd and I were relaxed, but not necessarily rested (there's a bit of work that goes into playing with and keeping safe two small children at the beach).
















Isabella was worn out!










We had a great time.  Mercer said he wanted to stay for 19 days instead of only 7.  That would be great, however, we'll have to just hold onto the memories of those 7 days together as our little family unit 'til next year~














 



 

No comments: