Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Visited the farm...

I front-loaded my week at work (had a couple of really big meetings) so that I could take Thursday & Friday off. Mercer and I headed up to visit some of my family.
Mercer did a great job on the way up to North Carolina. I left for our road-trip shortly after 6 am and he was in a daze for the first 1 ½ hours. Then he fell asleep for 1 ½ hours… whew – I had made it through half of the trip quite easily! He really wasn’t that bad the remainder of the trip – I had to bribe him with goldfish part of the way / he napped again / and we were there (well, almost there). We made a stop at my mom’s office before going to her house (somewhat on the way). She was leaving work early that day – and said that the ladies in her office wanted to see Mercer. He was such a HAM… he flirted, smiled, acted cute, was a charmer for no less than 6 – 8 women who were hovered around him at any one point in time!
While in North Carolina, we visited my mom / my mom’s parents (Mercer’s great-grandparents) / my dad’s mother (Mercer’s great-grandmother). We also saw some more extended family as well, folks who came to “town” to see the little guy. (small town!) He had a great time seeing everyone… playing… exploring. We noticed that he is starting to share toys (as you see the pile of cars on my grandma's lap that Mercer took her). He was sharing one of his absolute favorite possessions with my other grandma... a ball!

Mom, Mercer, and I also went to the zoo. He is so excitable and was pointing at things that moved a lot and would almost shout “ooohhh” “oooh” “ooohhh!” He did this for the otter, some ducks, an owl, puffins, and a bobcat. He also really enjoyed playing in the kid’s zone…. Painting on a wall with water and climbing on some of the nature-inspired playground equipment. Isn't this the BEST picture of him on the ladybug?!

The trip went well until the drive home. About ½ an hour into it, Mercer fell asleep, but then started coughing – like his croup cough. It kept getting worse & eventually woke him up. I pulled over (a little frantic, of course) and stopped at the first place I saw – a hotel. There was a woman outside landscaping. She went inside to ask the hotel if I could come in. A woman from the hotel came out, saw Mercer, heard him coughing, and said she’d have to go inside and call her manager. What?! I waited for a minute or two, then decided to program in Police Station on my GPS. They would help! There was one a couple of miles from where I was, so I went… but they were closed. Seriously!? Open M-F. Must’ve been more administrative than safety at that one. I programmed in the next Police Station and it was a bit farther away. A friend called and told me to go to a pharmacy – like a CVS. As I was talking to her, I passed one. They helped out. Yay. Great suggestion! I plugged in Mercer’s nebulizer (thankfully I packed it on the trip) and gave him a breathing treatment. The pharmacist was great / came to talk to Mercer / gave me a tip or two. I was SO RELIEVED!

I stopped in Greenville to visit my friend (who had called) and as we were packing up, Mercer let out another croup cough. He was also kind of crabby the rest of the way home – crying. I bribed him for awhile with some Happy Baby puffs (I didn’t feel as guilty about feeding him junk food b/c these are made with Kale, Spinach, and Collard Greens – no doubt!) but I think he was “done” and just wanted to be home.

He was so excited to see Todd when we rolled in Sunday night. I was too!

1 comment:

Future Registered Architect said...

Candice! I can't believe I found you!! Your kid is adorable!! You all look great. I am so sorry I lost touch with you and you came to New York and I did not see you. Congrats and Good Luck!
Lucy Sanchez