Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An interesting time....

It's really cool watching Mercer's development. He has pretty much mastered his eye-hand coordination. He's able to look at something he wants to grab and can at least touch it or knock his hand into it. He's doing a good job of sitting up with assistance (a boppy pillow). He's trying to pull himself up from laying down to sitting -- but can't quite get there. You can see him exerting a lot of effort to work on it though. And he's "scooching" around a little bit to the side and back mostly. Todd had Mercer duty all weekend & I didn't get to play with him or hold him too much (b/c of the issue in my side). I think that's why I've been more attuned to what all he's been doing these past few days.
Todd switched out the car seats to a toddler carseat over the weekend. What I'm going to miss about not using the infant car seat anymore: if he falls asleep in the car, we can't just pull out the car seat with him in it and bring him inside or snap it into a stroller... we have to unbuckle him & take him out. My cousin Tracy loaned us a toddler car seat (we're using in Todd's truck) and we bought one for my car. It's huge - as you can see in this picture!

We pulled the mobile down from his crib because he could scooch down to it and batt / start to grab at the fish. They're supposed to be removed around 5 months because they can be a strangulation hazard. But, there are new things moving into the picture. Here's Mercer in an "exersaucer" thing that a neighbor loaned us. (Aren't those cute pj's he's wearing?!)

I had a pretty good day. I feel much better than I have the past few days, I've been enjoying Mercer's development, and I had a good day at work. I spent the better part of the day by the pond doing research -- learning about a topic that I think is interesting. I went to a meeting, then came back and continued to research and learn stuff. I will put this knowledge to use over the next two days -- judging a contest that architects and architecture students entered. That's one thing I like about the job: being able to do different things than I would get to do in any other job!
Oh yeah one other good thing today -- I saw a really intense yellow & black bird in the back yard. It landed on a coneflower that the petals had fallen off of and he was pecking at the flower... eating seed? (I guess it wouldn't be that unlike sunflower seeds.)

It's the small things!

No comments: