Friday, April 11, 2008

Early April

Since we've been back from NJ, it's been a busy pretty week.

Monday -- unpacked / cleaned / mopped floors several times (b/c of sick Kitty) / and then cleaned some more preparing for the social worker's first post-placement visit Tuesday.
Her visit went well... she didn't stay long -- just asked some questions about our meetings with the birth mother, our doctor's visits, and how Mercer has changed and developed over the past month and a half. She will have another post-placement meeting with us in early May and a final one in early June. Following all of her visits, the paperwork is filed with the state and we can expect to have Mercer's court hearing -- his official "adoption day" -- sometime in July.

I do have to mention this as an aside... the social worker LOVED Mercer and kept staring at him. She kept saying how beautiful he was (that she's seen lots of babies & always says.... oh your baby is cute (even if they're not) but she thinks he's a stunner -- as do we!) ; - ) She's curious if he has some Native American in him? She's not the first person to ask this (in fact -- she's about the 10th person to ask) WHO KNOWS?! The birth mother doesn't know too much about the birth father -- and certainly doesn't have his background. I don't think we'll ever find out for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.


Later that evening, Mercer went to a "couples" shower that was thrown in our honor for the little guy. The folks who threw it were a couple of girls from our "Girls in the Hood" group. Spouses and Sig. Others were invited too. Even though we live near some of these folks... it's hard to spend a lot of time really catching up with them -- so it was a great opportunity to do so. Here's a pic of the two hosts (minus their husbands), Courtney & Karen as well as one of the guests -- oh yeah -- and the guest of honor in Karen's arms. At some point in the evening, Mercer and his buddy Jackson needed to take a break with their dads to eat. (If you click on this picture to enlarge it... you can see how intently Mercer is looking at his daddy!)



Wednesday was spent (by me) recovering, honestly... I was pretty worn down & not feeling well from all of the travel, cleaning, and activity of the previous few days. But - Thursday (after visiting the day care with Todd and running some errands) I talked to the folks at work and am SO RELIEVED that they are willing to work with me on my return to work in late May and coming back slowly. Also - I was slated originally to do a couple of trainings out of town & I found out that I'm off the hook for those as well. WHEW. I apologize to anyone who I was in a grumpy mood with earlier in the week. I was tired and stressed out. I was a new person on Thursday!

A few shots for your enjoyment. A shot of Mercer in a cute striped outfit that I picked up at a consignment sale (above)... a shot of the little guy in a sweater that our friend Cecilia knitted for him... and a shot of Todd with M in the back yard checking out the stream (had to get a spring picture in there as the tulips were all in bloom in the back yard).



Have a great rest of the week.

Candice

No comments: