Monday, January 14, 2008

Not much to blog about - but I thought I should jot down about the weekend. Went to Yoga / We hosted Soup Night (which was a much smaller crowd - and we got to talk to everyone this time) / Sunday we went up the street so Todd & I could talk to a neighbor about a front porch addition (he'll do this project) / went to an art store to buy some cover stock for our profile books / then went to babies r us to look at car seat / stroller combo (we MUST have a car seat picked out and ready to take with us). We found one we like but we need to research it. We have a consumer reports on its way. Also looked at convertible cribs too. Todd and I both agreed on a style. We'd really like one of those beautiful mission-style hand-made cribs, but cha-ching.... especially for the convertible kinds (so that they don't go to waste after a couple of years).


Speaking of cribs & stuff, check out this bassinet that my grandpa made quite some time ago. My dad gave it to us when we went to visit him at Thanksgiving. (below: pic of our spare bedroom / future nursery)
I'm not sure if the walnut used came from his farm or not -- but he always uses walnut. I suppose that's why I built this table (on the opposite side of the bed) out of walnut and ash? It's the first time that a piece of furniture that my grandpa made and that I made are in the same room. I just noticed that in this picture... cool! Our college begun offering furniture design in the 4th year of our 5 year program. If they had begun it sooner, I may have switched majors. It was so exhilarating making this piece / gluing together the strips of walnut so that I could bend them around the jig I made / sanding down the pieces. ahhhh.....i'd love to get back to woodwork.

Maybe once all of our "projects" (adoption and finishing a few things around the house) are done, I can get back to it. We've talked about turning our garage into a shop. I bought some old windows at an antique store that was going out of business. I think - if we put those windows in the walls of the wall and brought some daylight / some cross-ventilation in, it would make it a great work shop.


that's all.
g'night.

No comments: