Sunday, December 18, 2022

Between the breaks.... a recap leading up to a MUCH NEEDED respit!

The last 3 weeks of school were pretty intense.  My students in the "intro" classes were supposed to have presentations Dec 4/5... but no one was ready.  So, I pushed to Dec 9/12.  And - still most weren't done. (grading had to be 100% done by Dec 16).  So, sadly, some students were still presenting Dec 13/14... and THEN making improvements Dec 15/16 on their final projects because their grades tanked after their paltry submissions.  I can't.  I just can't.  Running around after these students who just don't care.  It's exhausting.

So much so that during the 2nd week (early December) I was under so much stress, that I had to go home!  I did go in for 1 class period - to wrap up presentations / vote on my 2nd year projects... which were also a couple days late.  (These I had to have because we were entering a competition at our local nature center.)  I really must re-think BOTH of theses schedules for next year!!

Todd and I took the "winners" (one from each class) to the Nature Center on a Saturday and we walked around for a bit afterwards.  The exhibit opened on Sunday.  I had free passes for me +1 (I wanted to take Isabella) but it rained all day, sadly, so we didn't go.


But there were SOME good products.... and SOME students that worked hard.  

So, I should focus on those positives!  








Because I missed a day / missed their class - I had these two girls come check on me the next day.   THEN on the last day of school (Dec 16), they came to their class beaming with smiles and hugging me and bringing a giant bag with them that they insisted I open immediately.  (It was full of "relaxation" products.) They wrote the sweetest card and insisted I rest over break!   It was so heartfelt... and it also warmed my heart knowing that I am making a difference in their lives.  (One of them this is especially heartwarming- as I learned this year from another teacher that she has a degenerative disease.... I knew she was out a lot at the end of last school year, but did not know why.) 


I took a picture of the card on top of the luxurious blanket they gave me that Isabella and the dog and I are fighting over.  (So much so that we just looked it up online and bought Isabella a blanket of her own!) 
I guess these are the moments to cherish!  












I also had a fun thing we did with some students in my afterschool club:  AIAS - American Institute of Architecture Students.  We had at our December meeting an "architectural gingerbread house" build.  It was fun / students had a good time. 




















































Yep - should definitely focus on the kids who want to be involved and who are "into" what I'm trying to do in my program.  



This "gingerbread house" (graham cracker) build helped me to get into the Christmas spirit a bit.  As did the CRAZY BUSY weekend that we had prepping for the holidays.  I was a docent at the Marietta tour of homes that 1st weekend in December.  Then, I scooted up about 45 minutes north to go to a girl's brunch and gift exchange at a former neighbor's house - who bought up in the country - they have 10 acres and a horse now!  

















Todd put out the lights on the front porch AND set up the tree while I was gone. Isabella and I decorated it while Mercer and Todd did some baseball stuff.


She & I wrapped up the weekend with a visit to a church - about 45 minutes away in a different direction - to visit our beautiful Santa who is no longer at the square. (Found this photo from 10 years ago when she first saw him!)


And my FAVORITE photo of the two of them from 4 years ago when she was 6.

He gave up doing the big crowds and long days during Covid.  "Santa Lamar" is the REAL DEAL !!  So kind to have let me know when / where he was going to be - at his personal church where he attends - so that Isabella could see him.


"Santa Lamar" is the REAL DEAL !! 



  










































Over the course of the next week - we set out more Christmas stuff AND the elves started harrassing us... I mean... visiting us.


















































They are definitely getting into some mischief!


(Those are peonies that Todd got me for my birthday!)



Speaking of birthday, we went to Cirque du Soliel (after we went to a quick dinner at my favorite low-key restaurant, Willy's.  





It was a good time!  There were some really impressive acts. 



One of my favorite things was not one of the fancy acts... it was these crazy accordion pants!  ha!
















I'm grateful that the semester is done.  Mercer worked REALLY HARD to get good grades his 1st semester of high school.(he had to really push and push and push - and push - to get a B in one of his electives that he was failing almost all semester.  I know he's grateful the semester is done too!   Isabella earned good grades too.    Todd told them that we'd do something of their choice if they got good grades... so we need to figure out what that will be.  But, we're proud of both of them.


parting photo:  Isabella during the last week of school on Crazy Holiday dress up day.

Now, we'll enjoy a couple of weeks off! 

No comments: