Sunday, November 28, 2021

November happenings....

After Isabella's birthday, we went to another 9-year old party... her new friend that she met earlier that week!  Funny - they really hit it off!  They went to Andretti's to play in the VR games + to drive the race cars.  (I even got a turn with the boy's step-mom + two other people who were on the race track)  





Adults and kids raced separately.  Their race was quite a bit more tame than ours!  We went out on a school night (a Thursday), but -- it was the day before the end of school, so...   we went for it!







I crashed early so I could get up in the middle of the night... I wanted to watch the "longest" partial lunar eclipse in our lifetimes.  It was the longest partial lunar eclipse since February 18, 1440 and the longest until February 8, 2669.  





My pictures don't do it justice, but glad I captured what I could.... even happier to have experienced it in person.  

It technically started around 1 am and lasted until after 6 am.  

I waited 'til the apex where it was approximately   94% covered (4 am)... then went to bed for awhile. it was red because of the refraction of the light... and it was tiny.  





On the way to work at around 7 am... it was totally full again and huge!  
  


I was really tired the next day (Friday) of course, but... I w as gearing up for a break.  We were invited to a bonfire on Friday and met up with some old friends + some new ones.  The next day (Saturday) I spent grading, Todd working, Mercer cleaning and Isabella playing with her new toys that Mercer gave her -- his old marble run set.   (Day 1 of break)














Day 2 of break, all of us (except for M) went to a wedding in north Georgia.  It was the wedding for a former colleague of mine.  Someone who was a huge help to me as I transitioned into teaching.  We didn't get to really talk to the bride, but... really really enjoyed catching up with some people that I really really loved working with.  


I have not had that kind of comradery at my new school.... I'm really glad I changed positions... but at my old school, several of us just really really clicked.


Isabella enjoyed the "roasting" of the groom.  She also took a couple of cute photos with my phone.  





Day 3 of break was spent cleaning.  (Here Mercer and Isabella were playing with more of his old toys while I was watching from our room -- cleaning out layers of construction dust. 








Day 4 - my mom arrived for Thanksgiving.  She painted and we played games.












Day 5 - we ran errands, had a tea party and played games.










Day 6 - Thanksgiving - was spent (for a few of us) at our neighbor's watching the Gobble Jog.  

Much of the day was spent cooking and doing dishes.

We did leaves while we waited on the turkey to finish smoking.




And, then we finally ate.  We said what all we were thankful for.  









Isabella started us off with about 50 items on her list.  (all the way from family, pets, covid shot, food, warm house, God, the couch, her bike, etc!)  Of course Mercer was thankful for food and the dog.  Us adults were thankful for health, jobs, family, safe travel.  I was also thankful for community (may-retta, work, church, neighborhood)  

We played more games after eating a late dinner.









Day 7 we ran some errands including getting a Christmas tree from a nearby tree farm + watching movies.   Todd and I did a little bit of shopping as well.












Day 8 - decorating for Christmas.  



The first ornament on the tree:  Isabella's horse that she painted!




 










Day 9 - reality really set in (for me).... grading, lesson planning.


And just like that.... break is over - onto the craziness of December!

No comments: