Saturday, August 22, 2015

First day(s) of school + some new things...



Mercer is officially a 2nd grader now.  Here are his first-day pics.  He's lost another tooth.  I think that his first day pics are going to be photographic journey of his missing teeth and ever-changing smile~  This new school year we are approaching with a little bit of a different attitude and have been communicating with his new teacher a lot about his learning differences.  Hopefully we can carve out a plan that will work for him and help him to succeed in school.

Isabella has moved (back) into the Toddler Room in August with a new teacher -- a new hire after her previous teacher left at the end of May. This new teacher, Mrs. Fanny, used to teach Montessori school for 6 or 7 years elsewhere and seems to be giving the toddlers a more "formal" Montessori education than Mercer was getting when he was in the toddler room.  Mercer learned at such a RAPID pace when he was there... so I'm very excited to see what Isabella will pick up with this new teacher.  

(Her achievements over the summer seems to be:  working on her ABC's (she sings the song pretty well with her adorable little voice), counting to 10, when pointing to objects on a page, she can identify if there are 1 of those objects, 2 of them or 3.  She knows her colors.  She has always been a great talker -- but she is pretty good at using complete sentences now.

I know I've mentioned before that she is a firecracker. The owner of the daycare told the new Montessori teacher to meet her new boss:  Isabella.  It seems to be true... she rules that room!  whew~   Supposedly, she will be moving up to the Montessori pre-K program soon, though.  I thought when she was 100% potty trained + 3 years old that they'd move her up, but it may happen in the next few weeks a few months earlier than expected.  We'll see.


Isabella has officially moved out of her toddler bed here at home. Enclosed are pictures of her in both her toddler bed right before the transition (sans clothes -- which something she does a lot in the middle of the night -- she will get undressed) AND pictures of her now she's in her new "big girl" bed.   



The fish & bubbles crib set & wall paintings that served us well for over 7 years are now officially gone.  (Sniff sniff.)  Bye bye nursery.  hello little girl's room~















Here she looks peaceful, but, man.... when she throws-down a tantrum... she really throws down.  It's been sort of tough between Mercer's breakdowns due to homework and Isabella's tantrums (hopefully temporary as a "terrible twos" issue).  Todd and I are pretty exhausted, honestly. 



I've begun a new school year myself.  I'm at the same private school 2 days a week teaching Physical Science again.  Here's a "first day" selfie to continue my new-ish tradition of that photographic journey.  (Hopefully mine will not be a journey of missing teeth and an ever-changing smile, like Mercer's however!!)  So far -- although it's only been 1 1/2 weeks for me in the classroom -- it is already a bit easier.  I haven't pulled an all-nighter yet like I was doing consistently (even from the start) last year.  I have lesson plans I can pull from. I do spend time to adjust them, as I recall what worked last year and what didn't.  There are a few lessons that I want to change that bombed last year and pull in something more exciting than what we did previously -- but overall -- I'm much more much set.  I was asked to also teach a 4th grade astronomy class for 1/2 an hour on the days that I'm there.  It will be a bit of a squeeze to cram them in between two of my 8th grade classes, but I'm looking forward to learning some new things and having fun with it. 

I mentioned back in January of 2014 that it was going to be a year of transition.  It's true. It was.  Last January, I was faced with a job loss and Todd moved to a new firm.  Todd is happily settled in at his firm 1 1/2 years now and I found some somewhat stable part-time green building work for just over a year while taking teaching classes, working at a butterfly garden part-time, and exploring teaching part-time.  

Unfortunately, the somewhat stable green building job is coming to an end as their work is drying up and I need to address again -- what do I want to be when I grow up?  The teaching has been fun.  Do I want to do this full-time???  That is the BIG question.  I have enjoyed being around students a couple of days a week and around adults a few days a week.  It's been a juggle - for sure - but I've also had more flexibility to let Isabella sleep in a few days a week and have some one-on-one time with her in the mornings (on non-teaching days), and to be at home earlier to pick Mercer up from the bus stop or at school (on the days I teach).  

IF I did make a move to teaching full-time... things would definitely change quite a bit.  I would be out the door very early every day, but then have more time every afternoons.  I have heard from teachers that you work a TON.  Home earlier in the afternoons than a traditional job (which could help with the homework and cooking dinner juggle that we face), but then at night -- you are up grading and lesson planning into the wee hours.... EVERY single night.  

There may be the possibility to pick up some more green building work on a contract basis, but that would be sporadic.  A friend of ours was really trying to sell me on moving back into architecture -- saying that I haven't really been out of the industry for a decade -- I've been honing my skills in another (related) area.  In terms of project management and how to run through an architectural project -- I could still do that as it's like riding a bike.  But the computer program(s) that are used, I'm really out of touch with.  Also, what do I do with my 2 day a week (low-paying) teaching job which I have a contract for??  Architecture is less flexible.  

The part-time teaching job makes things a little more difficult -- even IF I knew what direction to head in.  Oh boy.... here we go again!!  


I'll end this with a cute picture of Mercer and Isabella.  Here, Isabella is holding some sort of caterpillar and Mercer is trying to feed it a piece of grass.  This was taken at a Pollinator educational event at our community garden.  We are raising a bug-lover, for sure!!

One other thing about Isabella to share:  - she and I have developed a "secret language."  (Although Todd has recently jumped in on the game.)  She and I speak this little gibberish language and it makes her crack up and giggle -- sometimes cackle!  She will start this language when she can sense that I need a boost.  It ALWAYS picks me up.  


Mercer and I used to have this weird eye thing and funny noise that we would make at each other.  I guess you develop funny little things that make the kids act goofy that are different for each one.  

LOVE these little things.



No comments: