Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The *end* of a couple of things....

The end of (my) school and the end of little league baseball both took place last week~

NOW we can get back to a little bit of normalcy.... well.... maybe when Mercer's school ends too we can really kick back.



[This was a selfie I took on my first day of class... "Welcome to Physical Science" posted on the board.]  In looking back over the school year, it was really tough, honestly.  Between trying to figure out what I was doing lesson-wise (there were NO lesson plans for the subject I was teaching because the book was a new one for the school).... and between learning my content (I have not had chemistry since high school myself and limited physics in college)... AND between figuring out the whole "teaching thing" (classroom management / grading program on computer / lecture delivery)... I was in waaaay over my head!

This position is sort of an adjunct-style position:  I was teaching Physical Science in the classroom 2 days a week (four 8th grade classes and 1 high school class).  The pay was much lower than at a regular 5-day-a-week school, but there was a lot more flexibility.  It worked out pretty well to supplement somewhat what I was making at my green building job since I was not hired there full time..... and it gave me the opportunity to dip my toe in the water of teaching while still doing what I've done for the last decade.

I was often pulling all-nighters twice a week -- sometimes three times a week -- learning content, planning a lesson or grading.  It was not that healthy for me or that sustainable.

BUT

It was kind of fun.  
It proved to be a new challenge.
I learned A LOT about science - which I've been drawn to more and more in my career.
I survived in the end.

I think I'm going to do it again.


Everyone keeps saying that my second year will be much easier.  I need to find a way to not make it as taxing on my body and soul.... but I do want to try it out to see if, indeed, it is easier.  Also, last year, so many things were in flux job-wise... I sort of want to hang my hat in one place for a little while.  (or in this case -- two places.... the teaching at Johnson Ferry Christian Academy (www.jfca.org) and the green building job at Sustainable Investment Group (www.sigearth.com) )

I don't know if I want to move into teaching.
I don't know if I want to stick with green building or move on.
I have another year to decide.

Also, I am secretly hoping that I can find something that is related to BOTH teaching and sustainability.  That would be ideal.







There were highs and lows throughout the year.  Many lessons that were ho-hum / not exciting.  There were times when it was probably evident that I had no clue what I was doing.  But - there were some pretty great times too.  The last week of school, for instance, consisted of students delivering a physics project to the class.  There were likely projects that I should not have allowed the students to build and bring in.  And we "went out with a bang" in the last class exploding something that should've just oozed out instead.  

No one got hurt.  In the end - that's what's important.  That.... and they had fun while learning some things.  :)






XXXXXXXXXX

Mercer's baseball felt taxing for some reason this season.  Maybe because of school?  Maybe because he moved up to a more serious league and had extra practices and/or games each week (it was at least a 3 day a week commitment).  Also, Todd coached again... and was often running over early to set up / coming home late after breaking things down.  The games and practices during the week either conflicted with dinner OR bedtime (6:30 - 7:45 + set up / break down) OR (7:45 - 9:45 games that went well past Mercer's bedtime).  It was tough, honestly.

The season started with a draft for a position on a team and then optional practices until the season began.  The last week of the season, there were 6 games over 8 days to make up for cancellations due to rain.  THEN last minute, the league announced a playoff structure.

It just felt like too much (for me).  Todd and Mercer enjoyed themselves, however, and Mercer's game improved. He started to make a lot of contact with the ball while hitting and had a pretty decent batting average.  He needs to improve on his fielding and hustling.  The commissioner of the league asked him to play in all-stars, however, Todd and I opted not to enroll him.  (He's trying swim team this year for the first time and that is a big commitment for 6 weeks.) 








Most of these pics are from end-of-season events instead of during games and (more recently added - some pics from the Braves stadium where Mercer and his team got to march in a little league parade on the field!)




95% of my time spent at the ball field was watching Isabella.  Isabella watched about 5% of any game.  Mostly she wanted to run around the ball field looking for roly polys or playing on the play ground.  Sometimes, Todd was able to hold her while he coached from the dugout.  Sometimes she got to partake in the snacks.  She learned about $$.  Once, I bought a bottle of water from concessions for her.  She observed the exchange.  Another day, she found a dime on the ground and immediately wanted to take it to the concession operator.  I thought it was cute - she was going to give them a dime she found, but BAM - the guy gave her a piece of bubble gum.  UH OH.  From that point on, it was "over."  She pretty much went around saying that she needed money.  Sometimes older kids would offer it to her too, but I had to decline their offer!  She's a smart girl.  And friendly.  

Deadly combination (for us). 

More about her in the next post. Promise~





No comments: