Saturday, March 2, 2013

more February memories + a March milestone

On the day Isabella turned 3 months old, she held her bottle by herself.  There was a post that day which reported this milestone of independence (Feb 13).  The following day (on Valentine's Day), she rolled over.  While I'm awake during the day, I let Isabella sleep on her belly because she seems to sleep better.  I heard some little grunts and noises, went over, and she was staring up at me... from her back. 

Later that day, I was changing her diaper and clothing.  I laid her in the pack-and-play.  By the time I came back, she was trying to flip over again, so I grabbed the camera.  She struggled and kept trying, but did not flip over on this attempt.  I got a few photos of her, however, seeing how she was trying to propel herself over (push up, swing leg, twist, etc).  Seemed like it was too much work / she was pooped out. 

It was almost 2 weeks later when she flipped over on her own again.  So - I grabbed the camera in hopes of capturing this special event.  Of course, she didn't do it again that day either.  She seemed too worn out to complete the task a second time.
The next day (Feb 28) she rolled herself over 2 times! (but I was working on Mercer's closet with power tools / didn't have a camera on me) It seems like she's getting stronger and she's got a little more stamina.... but I may not be able to catch this on film like I was able to do with Mercer. 

Isabella's tummy muscles definitely are developing, as she's been doing a ton of "reverse sit-ups" pulling her legs up. She has been spending a lot of time the past couple of days with her feet in the air. 
In fact, she was staring at and grabbing at her toes yesterday.  SO CUTE!
A little more on Isabella:  she has spent the past few nights sleeping in her nursery.  She and I did ultimately end up back out on the couch, however, the first couple of nights to finish out the remainder of our sleep as we have for the past 3 1/2 months -- my arm propped up so she won't roll, her head over my heart.  But, her 3rd night in the nursery, she slept almost all night.  We heard her & saw that she was awake at some point, but she went back to sleep on her own.  So - does that qualify as her having slept through the night??

Speaking of the over-sized comfy couch... she and I have spent a lot of time there during the day too -- here's a picture of Isabella and me at "work."  

Sometimes, she would lay on me as I worked (but she's getting too long and it's harder to do this).  Sometimes she would lay on the couch next to me while I worked or she would lay in her pack-and-play in the living room.  We have been VERY close these past few months.  We have had lots of bonding.  That's why I'm a little sad that she's starting to sleep in her own room.  I knew the day would come when we would move Mercer into his room upstairs and we would convert his old room back into a nursery.  But it's still a little sad!  

As of March 1, she entered into the world of daycare.  Here's her 1st day of daycare photo!  She is going to the same school Mercer goes to (and that he attended ever since he was 3+ months old) while I work in the office 3 days a week.  It will alleviate the stress of "will the baby start crying while I'm on a conference call?" (which DID happen a few times) -- and -- theoretically I should be getting more work done in the office, so I should be getting more sleep instead of working in bits of work in the middle of the night (which usually occurred between 2 - 5 AM depending on when she would wake at night).  I will still have Isabella with me at home 2 days a week; these should be more "relaxed" days because the bulk of my work will now be in the office.  It feels like a monumental transition, however, that both her sleeping in her room and her starting daycare occur within days of each other.  She's moving onto her next phase... the next chapter of her life.

Mercer's room is almost done, but he's been sleeping there for about a week and a half now.  The first night, Todd slept in the other twin bed that's up there, as Mercer was scared.  Earlier this week, I had to stay up there with him 'til he fell asleep... again... something scared him & he couldn't drift into a slumber.  We'll post photos of both Mercer's new "Big Boy Room" and the "converted nursery" soon as there's still a few things to finish in each space.  

Mercer had another birthday celebration, but this time at school with his classmates.  It was a Spiderman party complete with some Spiderman paper products, Spiderman Cheeze-its, and cupcakes with Spiderman plastic rings on top. This was his specific request -- for the rings.  Last year, he asked for party hats.  He actually said that next year, he wants a Dr. Seuss birthday party.  GLADLY!!  I'd love to plan that party.  (Let's see if he's still agreeable next year?) 

At his school, his teacher Ms. Zoica conducted the same sort of birthday discussion as his teacher did lat year -- bringing out a candle to represent the sun, asking Mercer to hold a globe, then walk around the sun a number of times to represent his journey as each year passed.  i brought the blog book this time so that I could remember some milestones at each year's passing.  Funny how easily these things are forgotten as time goes on.  SO GLAD to have been writing down these memories all along!! 

Rose Marie went with us to the school and noted how intent Isabella was watching the birthday-around-the sun event.  

Grandma "G" also got to partake in another celebration while in town... going to Mercer's last basketball game and party (Yes, there was another party... Mercer had cupcakes every day for 3 days straight!)  

He was excited to get a trophy at the end of this winter season sport and really seemed to enjoy basketball overall.  The one major thing he learned was how to dribble and run.  I feel certain that we'll sign him up for this sport again at the same spot next year.  As they get older, the baskets are taller and perhaps he'll pick up some more skills?

We registered Mercer for spring baseball.  Already this week, we got an email... the first practice happened this Saturday (in a little snow flurry)!  Wow - no break between basketball and baseball, although, I am glad that one has officially ended before the next starts. 

I am happy to usher in a new season.  It feels that the winter has stuck around so long this year.  (I've been very bound to the house each and every day -- also we've all been home more so at night and on the weekends as we haven't wanted to expose Isabella to the outside world during one of the worst flu seasons on record.) 

Oh, I can't wait to come out of hibernation and witness a season of renewal and growth!

No comments: