Friday, April 8, 2011

between jobs

I'm officially unemployed.
(I've been off from my last job for a week. I start the new job on Monday.)

In the mean time, Mercer and I took a trip to North Carolina to visit family. We actually had the chance to visit folks that we did not get to see while up at Christmas: Aunt Becky, Uncle Tony, Uncle David, and Aunt Francis. We visited the zoo where my mom works... it's been at least a year since we have been. Mercer's favorite thing still seems to be the playground there. He said he also liked riding the carousel. This carousel ride was much better than the one we took about 1 1/2 years ago at Central Park in New York City. He's the right age for it now.

We also visited my mom and my grandparents - Mercer's great-grandparents.

My grandpa Nunn was celebrating a birthday... aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces & nephews all gathered to celebrate with him. In his 86 years of life, this may be his first birthday party with silly-string. (Mercer was scared of it for quite awhile, but the other nieces & nephews had a good time spraying grandpa with it!)

We also got a chance to see some friends on our way home that we didn't get to see last time. My girlfriend Cindy has two boys - ages 5 & 3 - and they have some really great toys that Mercer enjoys pulling out & playing with. It helps to break up the drive home. I assume he had a good time - as he was talking about Daniel & Trevor all the way home.

On this road trip, he sang a lot of songs. He likes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song. "A-B-C-D-E-eh-G... H-I-J-K-el-la-lamo-P... cue-R-S... T-U-V... W-X-Y and Z... now I know my A-B-C's...D-E-eh-G... H-I-J-K-el-la-lamo-P... cue-R-S...T-U-V...W-X-Y and Z...now I know my A-B-C's...D-E-eh-G...." etc.

He gets caught up on the "now I know my A-B-C's part & starts back over!" It's adorable.

Another thing that makes us smile: when he sees a truck or a car with a picture on the side, he lets out a big laugh and says "That's Funny!~"
When we got home, Mercer got to check out his new "big boy" bed. Awhile back, we converted his crib to a toddler bed (by taking off the side rail & installing a roll-guard). But - Mercer is so tall that he has pretty much outgrown his toddler bed.. it was imminent that we move him to the next phase - a full-sized bed with roll-guards on either side. He LOVES his new bed!

He's going to the potty (sometimes) all by himself... sleeping in a "big-boy" bed... and can dress himself when he puts his mind to it. He's definitely growing out of his baby / toddler stage. (so sad)

No comments: