Tuesday, April 20, 2010

a busy few weeks...

Right after Easter, Mercer & I took a trip to see my family in NC. As usual, it was too quick, but it was good that we went. My grandpa turned 85 over the weekend that we were there and we got to see most of my mom's side of the family at a party honoring him. Mercer got to play with the big kids at one point during the party. My cousin, Emma, really went out of her way to include him in a game of kick-ball - it was really sweet. Mercer was so pumped-up to be included. It's amazing how early this need for inclusion by peers & older kids is exhibited.

We got to see quite a bit of my dad's side of the family too. We visited my grandma in the nursing home. Mercer did something very interesting while there. During part of our visit, we went outside to the nursing home courtyard. There is a resident there who we've seen in the past, but he's never communicated with us. In fact, my Aunt Becky said that this man hasn't said anything the whole time my grandmother has lived there (4 years?). He was in the courtyard and Mercer ended up playing ball with this man. He'd drop the ball at the man's feet and the man would gingerly bend over and pick it up and throw it back towards Mercer. This happened over and over again. He would sort of mumble "here you go" when he was returning the ball to Mercer. Also, when we left, Mercer yelled "bye" to the man and waved. The man waved several times and said "bye bye" back. We loved seeing that connection he made and how he was able to draw this reclusive person into his world.

After the visit with my grandma, Mercer and I went to a neighboring development called Fearrington Village. Looks like an interesting place with lots of events (a weekly farmer's market / an annual folk art show / holiday events / shopping / dining / etc.) I expect we'll go back to explore it more because it's very close to where my grandmother is staying. http://www.fearrington.com/village/events.asp
Mercer ran right up to these sculptures (as seen in the first pic with the outstretched hand -- "come-on let's check this out" is what i interpreted that to mean). I think that they're stylized sheep? Some of them looked sort of like pigs or cows. Not 100% sure, but it makes for a nice photo!

During this trip, we also visited my aunt Becky & "crazy" Tony. And my dad's brother, David, & sister-in-law, Francis, came over to hang out for awhile & visit Mercer and me. Mercer was quite the entertainer. He RAN all over the place with a wooden horse. His activity level is pretty much "non-stop."

This trip had a lot of running. On the drive up to NC and on the drive back, I stopped at my friend Cindy's in SC. It was good to let little guy out and get rid of some energy and play with her boys Daniel & Trevor. I learned something very valuable while there: if you fill a spray bottle full of water and let the kids loose outside to squirt things... they're entertained for quite awhile! There is the danger, however, that they'll come after the photographer!
I've been very busy with work deadlines and have quite a bit of travel coming up in the next couple of weeks. I'll try to post again sooner than this last time if I can!

No comments: